Thursday, December 19, 2013

Dinkytown: Week 7-Warm Me Up!

I made it through my first transfer (my first six weeks) out here in the mission field! It's been an incredible six weeks and I have learned so much about myself, about my Savior and about how to get along with a companion haha.
I love Sister Smith, and we really are good at working with each other to better each other. We are open to each other on things that we can improve on. As much as chastisement and constructive criticisms hurt on the spot and in the moment, they are moments where I have learnt to actually be humble, and to look over my own pride.

The Lord knows me so well. I am so grateful to Him for helping me make the decision of coming out on a mission. If I had not ever came out, I don't think I would have ever realized how prideful and self righteous I was and still am. I have never had to rely on the Savior's Atonement and the power of change through him ever more than I am now. I love my Savior, and I truly am coming to acknowledge him each and everyday of my life as I exercise faith to repentance EACH AND EVERY NIGHT. The power of change is so real! I love how in Chinese, the word for repentance literally means, turn around, and change. Change ourselves to be aligned with the will of God. How come I never realized that until now?? Chinese is so cool!

We had some exciting things happen to us this week! Sister Smith and I survived our first transfer! WE are still together, hoorayyy!
We have two new elders nonetheless in our district family. Elder Meguro from Japan, and our new ZL, Elder Harrison from Arizona!
We are honestly the most ethnic district ever! The Chinese, the Korean, and the Japanese! Woot! Somehow, no matter where I end up, I am still surrounded by diversity. and I love it! Not complaining at all! :D

Other than the change up in peeps around here. Sister Smith and I were so blessed to be fed by so many gracious people. Will and Robert were two Chinese investigators we were teaching, but because they are exchange students here, they have been really busy with a lot of traveling, hence, not much progression at all. They will be leaving back to China in less than a month. They are the sweetest people ever though! Because they felt bad for wasting so much of our time, they invited us over for dinner and we had HOT POT! oh ya! Warm me up baby with some hotpot. I could kill for that everyday in this freezing icebox of a state that I'm living in haha. Pictures will be attached to this email of the amazing amount of food they prepared for us! Chinese people really are soooo hospitable. Oh! and Will is from Shanghai, so literally, during the whole time that we were there, he was busy in the kitchen cooking nonstop. We were so sad that we had to leave early for lesson and that we didn't get to eat more of his good cooking.

As the weather continues to get colder, and colder, my heart becomes warmer and warmer as I think and ponder about my Savior's Atonement, upon the Thanksgiving and Christmas season, and as I continue to feel more and more refined through learning about myself and through doing the Lord's will. 
It saddens my heart, but for a very small moment to think that Shar, Carson, and Robby, will all be reunited with the fam in Taiwan very soon without me, but then my joy is full as I think of the happiness they will have and the excitement it will be for Grandma to finally meet Carson. 
As I feast upon the words of the Book of Mormon, I become more and more grateful for all that I have grown up with. I am grateful for a loving family, I am grateful for goodly parents and grandparents, I am grateful for my gifts and talents, and I am grateful that I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints- that I know that I am a daughter and child of God, and that I have great purpose in this life.Like the wisdom that Lehi shares with his son Jacob, "the Lord will consecrate our afflictions for our gain."

I am grateful for sweet sweet Emily Hang, one of the new Hmong members of the ward for her thoughtfulness of making cute scarves for us. WARM US UP AND WARM MY HEART ONCE AGAIN.
I am grateful for Brittany Nagel for making us the best SWEET POTATO CHILI, SOUNDS GOOD EH? 

And I am so grateful to the Chan's for sending me such a cute package with a Chocolate Survival Kit from Purdy's! Ah, reminds me of Home sweet Home, Canada. 
With all that said, my weeks here simply get better and better. I say this not to boast or to brag, but to express my gratitude to my Heavenly Father for providing me with so many learning experiences. I love my mission and Minnesota truly is my sacred grove. It will be the place where I come to know of the redeeming love of my Savior. (Mosiah 18:30)

I love you all so very much!!!!!! Until next week!

Love,

Sister Pao

No comments:

Post a Comment